6. Practising Emotional First Aid
Our emotional needs and wounds affect all that we do. So, why don’t we tend to them as we do physical needs and wounds?
We invited TED Talk’er and licensed psychologist, Dr Guy Winch, to talk to us about emotional first aid – what it is and how we can practice it.
Some questions we ask:
- Why are people more willing to talk about physical injuries than emotional ones?
- How can we perform emotional first aid on ourselves?
- Can you give us some examples of what emotional wounds might be?
- Can our emotional wellbeing affect our physical state?
Want to learn more about Dr Guy Winch? Here you go:
Dr. Winch received his doctorate in clinical psychology from New York University in 1991 and completed a postdoctoral fellowship in family and couples therapy at NYU Medical Center. He has been working with individuals, couples and families in his private practice in Manhattan, since 1992. He is a member of the American Psychological Association.